Cooking, Shepherd's Pie
- 1 1/2 lb. ground lamb or beef
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
1 - 1 1/2 c. mashed potatoes
1/2 c. diced cooked carrots
1 c. brown stock or prepared onion gravy)
2 tbs. melted butter
salt and pepper to taste
1. Brown onions thoroughly in large skillet or stock pot.
2. Add ground lamb or beef, cook until browned, stirring frequently.
3. Add stock or gravy, make fairly moist to allow absorbtion when
4. Season to taste.
5. Layer carrots and meat, in bottom of deep, 5-quart (5 litre)
casserole dish, spread with mashed potatoes.
6. Drizzle melted butter on top, and criss-cross with a fork.
7. Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven.
8. Serve after 40 - 45 minutes or when potatoes form browned,
Serves 2 - 4.
To Scottish Cooking
Return To Scottish Recipes