Tour The Historic Royal Burgh Of Arbroath
of this area
is the largest town in Angus with a population of, roughly, 25,000.
It is a fishing port and resort town. It's original name was
more descriptive of it's origin- Aberbrothock, "at the
mouth of the Brothock" (Burn). Probably most well known for
it's abbey which was completed in 1233 and was the setting
of the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1320 from
which the Americans based their Declaration of Independence. In
1446 the area in front of the abbey was the scene of a bloody
battle. Arbroath became a royal burgh on the 23rd November 1599.
Here is the wording of the Charter. The base for the building
of the Bell Rock lighthouse (completed in 1811) was in Arbroath.
In the 18th and 19th centuries Arbroath became a centre for linen
weaving, spinning, bleaching and tanning with mills dotted all
the way down the Brothock valley and, it is believed, Arbroath
mills supplied the sails for the "Cutty Sark". It is
also famous for it's delicacy, the "Smokie", which
was really an Auchmithie invention.
The modern economy depends, mainly, on engineering (parts for
some models of Rolls Royce were made in Arbroath), oil-related
industries, fishing, boat building and, to a lesser extent, tourism.
interesting places to visit
in this region include:
carved Pictish stones line roadside of this hamlet. One more in
churchyard; carved with Celtic cross and animal decorations. Battle
scene on reverse.
well-preserved underground earth house with chambers and passages;
houses for 1st and 2nd-century Picts. Another earth house stands
1 mile north.
on red-sandstone cliffs with restored cottages and tiny harbour;
one of the oldest fishing settlements on Angus coast. Model for
'Musselcrag' in Walter Scott's novel The Antiquary.
point with fortress-like limekiln on tip. Look for agates among
rocks at low tide. Coastal path leads to Elephant Rock: red-sandstone
stack in which sea has carved 'legs' and 'trunk'. Fine view across
rising steeply from River South Esk. Red-sandstone cathedral dates
from 13th century, now a parish church. Pictish relics, 16th-century
font amid 17th-century silver inside. Next to it, 87ft high watchtower
dates from 11th century.
River South Esk, squat obelisks guard approaches to this three-arched
bridge decorated with Gothic motifs. Built by Alexander Stevens
on a rocky spur above Broughty Ferry harbour, this 15th-century
castle was restored in 1860. Now it houses a museum with exhibits
of seashore wildlife, lay's natural history and Dundee's former
around cottages of old fishing village. this Dundee suburb doubles
as a holiday resort.
home of Reverend Patrick Bell, inventor of the reaping machine
in 1828. Workshop remains. Church founded 1500.
Brown and White
Iron Age forts: Brown stands alone with six lines of defence,
the outermost enclosing an area of 1,000 by 900ft; White, a mile
south-west, is a hilltop oval surrounded by two stone walls.
late 1500s fortress with towers capped by square gar-rets, Ground
floor dominated by kitchen with vast fireplace and gunport. Sole
entrance by small doorway on west front.
of Arbroath town, broad esplanade has acres of grass. From northern
end, 3 mile nature trail leads along cliff tops, passing stack
known as Deil's Held; one of many oddly shaped rocks. Cave in
Carlingheugh Bay leads through to neighbouring bay. Check tide
times before venturing in cave.
and broadleaf woodland extending for 250 acres, where a Victorian
reservoir looks decep-tively like a natural loch. Wildlife hides,
trails and Ranger Centre with environmental displays.
fills the air in 8 acres of gardens where history of herbs is
explained with Celtic, Roman and monastic displays. Arboretum
ruins of 16th-century castle dominated by square tower.
home of Prime Minister W.E. Gladstone 1830-51. Built 1809, the
house looks much as it did in Gladstone's time; still lived in
by his descendants. Deer park.
how to make malt whisky on a tour of Scotland's second eldest
licensed distillery. Arch marks Queen Victoria's 1861 town visit.
Shaft of 1670 Kincardine Tower Cross in main square.
town where Malcolm III had a castle -- destroyed by Robert Bruce:
site is marked by 17th-century octagonal turret. Town Hall and
museum has 'Forfar bridle': medieval iron cellar used to gag those
about to be executed.
in I5th century on site of earlier fortress. Square tower of 1468
and 19th --century additions. Can be viewed from outside only.
of ramparted Iron Age fort crown hill with all-round views of
the countryside. Evidence of metal working and pot making.
house designed by William Adam in early 18th century. Saloon plaster-work
depicts armorial bearings. Naval and military trophies and mythological
scenes. Potting shed contains early 20th-century tools and life-size
figure of a gardener at work. Wooded walks through the surrounding
lobster--fishing port. full of holiday homes, with two--basin
harbour. Four mile coastal path runs north to the town of Inverbervie.
domestic architecture of the 16th and 17th centuries; oldest part
dates from 1613.
shore to search for semiprecious stones, such as agate and amethyst.
cottages stand side by side with modern holiday chalets. Beach
of pebbles and rocks. Good walking in woods where there are two
streams; one tumbles down 40ft waterfall of Den Finella.
noted for battlemented 15th-century Affleck Castle, with fine
upper hall and vaulted chapel. Waterside walks and boating in
country park surrounding reservoir. Beyond Monikie, road runs
back towards coast, giving wide views over the sea.
with water on three sides. Popular sailing centre wiith fine beach.
Pink-footed geese over-winter on shores. Church steeple soars
220ft above elegant, gable-ended High Street houses, where the
narrow, twisting closes have remained unchanged for 200 years.
Curfew bell of 'Big Peter' rings from steeple nightly.
steep path from Lunan Bay to remains of cliff-top castle, probably
dating from the 15th century when it replaced earlier fort built
for King William the Lion.
of the most unspoiled spots tin Scotland's east coast; 26511 sandstone
headland is reached by a bumpy 1 1/2 mile drive on an unpaved
road. Superb view along coast. Path below cliff edge leads to
stone ruin surrounded by sloping meadows. Incorporated into remains
of Augustinian Priory church is porch, possibly dating from 11th
century; later heightened to form square tower. Capped by spire
in 15th century.
of sand backed by dunes, with cliffs of volcanic rock. Rich in
wild flowers, butterflies and moths. Colony of little terns on
sand and shingle at the south end. Stonechats, whitethroats and
yellowhammers frequent gorse and scrub. Common porpoises sometimes
appear offshore and grey seals are seen regularly.
gem in dip below modern housing. Small 12th-century church, renovated
19th century, on steep mound dotted with gravestones. Below stands
semicircle of red-stone cottages with stone--slabbed roofs.
village on River South Esk in Vale of Strathmore . Ruined 15th
century stronghold of Finavon Castle, 2 miles south-east.
If you would like to visit this area as part of a highly personalized
small group tour of my native Scotland please e-mail me: